Sunday, May 2, 2010

DIY: Paper Bag Waist Mini Skirt

This shirt has been hanging in my closet for a long time now for a few simple reasons. I love the color, the drape and lightness of the fabric are amazing, however, I pull it out of the closet, I put it on and ,every time, I put it back (read: on the floor).  So I decided that I needed to give it new life. When I saw this post from one of my new favorite style bloggers and one of my first thoughts was "hey that looks like...." I knew what I had to do.
 

What you will need:
-men's button down shirt (I say men's because they are bigger and cut more square)
-scissors
-sewing machine ( you can hand sew or even rock a raw edge, why not!?)


Step One: Cut off Sleeves...although this isn't completely necessary it will get you over the whole "I'm cutting up my clothes" angst.
Step Two: figure out the length you want on the skirt. I just held it up in the mirror cinching it at the waist and then added a few inches for above the belt and seam allowance.
Step Three: Finish off the top edge. On this one I double folded and stitched a small hem, but I think in the future I will allow for a deeper hem in order to keep the top edge stiff and allow it to stay up.
Step Four: Pick your favorite belt and cinch it up!
Have Fun!!!

6 comments:

Terry said...

Aren't you a smartie! That is so cute, my talented daughter!

Lori Grimes said...

That's cute but their is no way I could pull that off. I would have gotten as far as cutting it up and then I'd have to call in the big guns (you) to finish it off.

Bec said...

Maybe this will be my motivation to lose 15 lbs??? ;)

Fashily said...

hey, aunt Lu, its a straight line! you always brag about your straight line sewing skills ;)
Bec,what's great, I think, is it works on lots of sizes because that belt is what makes it fit your waist and you just adjust to your own comfort!

Jennifer said...

Very ingenious of you!!

Autty said...

I am sooooo doing this, this is absolutely cool :) thanks for the tip!