Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Paper Dolls and Therapy


I am loving this tradition that we've started.  Bonding over clothes,  picking ourselves apart, building each other up.  I hope this day of playing grown up paper dolls will last well into the days when adult diapers and hearing aids are the accessories of choice. 
   My sister, for most of her life, has been a proponent of function over fashion. Steering clear of any wedgy-inducing garments, and opting for a classic style that complimented her classic beauty. 
    Now here is where I should probably lay back in the ole therapist chair for a spell. My sister is beautiful. no question. personality abounds. knows no strangers and always has the right words for everything(I know you've read her blog). As you would probably guess, growing up eighteen months apart, we have always been somewhat competitive.  Knowing I would never measure up in the looks department(I've always been "cute", at best) and being painfully shy the majority of my adolescence, I think I turned to fashion as means of expression and an avenue for distinction.  Being "blessed"(?) with the body of a 12 year old boy has admittedly made it easier to dress more daringly and with the dawn of my 30th year I took on a decidedly "Now or Never" attitude toward my style. 

    Wow. That was a detour that I didn't see coming...holy crap. What is your hourly rate by the way?

ANYWAYS...my sister has also, with the dawn of her 30th year, sparked a fashion fire, of sorts.  She has taken on such a greater interest in dressing and styling her looks and I am SO excited to share this new commonality with her.  Now if she would just get some confidence in her choices and realize what a great eye for fashion she has honed! (could it be the lasik?)
   Case and point. The two of us decided that we were going to do a sort of Kendi Style Remix and pick a group of items from my closet (she was visiting) and create 3 looks that we would wear....out of the house.  It was SUCH a blast and just look at the bangin' outfits my lil sis rocked out! 

Our Choices:


 Look  #1
I really loved both of our first outfits.  Mine was my favorite of the three and her's was probably the most signature "Deedee" look (did I mention that is what we call her?). Girlfriend can accessorize with the best of them. The belt, the scarf (her own), perfect.

Look  #2
Isn't this fun?! (humor us)

Look  #3
I love that we both chose the striped dress (notice the only similar item) and wore it in ways that are SO us. Deedee's look is both my favorite and her least favorite (read: she wants to burn it) outfit.  I think it is really adventurous and has great proportions. Love how she mixed her prints and with a little more time (the little ones were getting restless) and a few more accessories (maybe a belt and long pendant) this outfit would have topped them all.

I guess that's about it. Can you just bill me for the session? thanks.

Here is Deed's corresponding post.








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love the dueling fashion posts. They highlight the MayMay-DeeDee similarities and differences, and bring out the beauty in you both. BUT, what is most striking to me is that you are both terrific writers. I think that both of you write with a perfect combination of Terry's warmth and Stan's wit. Wait, Ter--not that you aren't witty, and wait, Stan--not that you aren't nice, but...oh well. Too late. Christmas gifts will suck this year.

Brent

erin said...

Love your take on this Meghan! I'm totally curious to know if you read mine first...mainly to hear if the wedgy comment was inspired by my own confession or if my hatred of it truly is as much a part of my being as I believe it to be. Man, I can't stand a wedgy. You thong-wearers are beyond me.

Oh, and also. You're nuts. You have always been far beyond "cute at best". Do I need to replay the annoyed conversation you had with me last year when you said I was always down on myself on my blog. DO I?

And one more thing. I love you.

Melanie said...

I think this is such a fun idea! You both are beautiful and you both came up with some very cute outfits!

Karen said...

Fun!

Fashily said...

Thanks you guys! This was so much fun and I really appreciate the support... Brent, you nearly brought me to tears I will have you know! I may be able to salvage your Christmas this year ;)

Terry said...

I love my fun and crazy and loving and fashionable daughters! So glad the forced writing of those essays titled "Why I Love My Sister", when you were in elementary school, have continued into adulthood without the "forced" part!! Best daughters a mom could ask for!